We include products that we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here is our process.
Bowflex is a business that sells exercise bikes and other home gym equipment. The Bowflex C6 bike allows people to connect with trainers, track their progress, and exercise without disturbing others.
This article explores the Bowflex brand and its C6 bike in more detail. It also discusses the health benefits and risks of cycling and suggests alternative brands and products that a person may wish to try.
Bowflex is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington, United States.
The company has been manufacturing home gym equipment since 1986. It is a well-known manufacturer of exercise bikes, treadmills, dumbbells and dumbbells.
Bowflex aims to help individuals exercise without paying a gym membership fee, and the company has designed its products to be suitable for individuals of all fitness levels.
The brand has a 2.4 rating on Trustpilot, with negative reviews mentioning customer service and shipping issues. Customers also reported that they found the assembly instructions difficult to follow because they did not always match the components of the product.
However, according to other accounts, Bowflex exercise equipment can be useful if a person is unable to exercise in a gym.
Nautilus, the parent company of Bowflex, has a rating of 1.03 out of 5 and an A rating on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) ââwebsite. Additionally, Nautilus does not have BBB accreditation. Customers also filed over 200 complaints, many claiming they did not receive their orders. Some people said the company’s exercise bikes malfunctioned and caused injuries.
The BBB website says people have filed 222 complaints in the past 3 years, Nautilus has closed 152 in the past 12 months.
The characteristics of the Bowflex C6 bike:
- a backlit LCD metric console
- an adjustable seat
- Double-sided pedals for easy grip during learning mode
- a device holder for smartphones and tablets
- double water bottle handles
- a weight capacity of 330 pounds (lbs)
The bike has the following dimensions:
- length: 48.7 inches (in)
- width: 21.2 ”
- height: 51.8 ”
The Bowflex C6 has 100 resistance levels, which would provide a quiet and smooth ride. The company also says it comes with a four-way adjustable handlebars and two 3lb dumbbells. In addition, users can benefit from the bluetooth heart rate monitor.
The Bowflex C6 bike comes with:
- a 10-year framework warranty
- a 3-year warranty on mechanical parts
- a 3-year electronic warranty
- a 1 year warranty on labor
A person can choose to assemble the bike themselves or use the Bowflex in-home assembly service for a fee. The company also offers a finance plan to help customers pay for their bikes in monthly installments.
Additionally, C6 carries the P65 warning label, which means it may contain chemicals that can cause cancer, reproductive harm, and birth defects.
Bowflex exercise bikes come with free shipping and a 6 month lead time JRNY trial.
JRNY is the company’s digital fitness platform that offers personalized training programs, which adapt to the user’s training intensity.
This application offers:
- daily workout recommendations
- real-time coaching and help achieve goals
- streaming during workouts
- more than 50 destinations to explore virtually during the exercise
- music playlists
- unlimited user profiles
JRNY also keeps track of a person’s milestones and accomplishments while providing easy navigation, without the need to scroll during exercise to view this information.
A person may wish to consider the health benefits and risks of indoor cycling before engaging in this type of exercise.
Physical exercise can benefit a person’s health. the
According to health experts, some health benefits that cycling can offer include:
- Less pressure on the joints: Cycling may be a more suitable type of exercise for people with back pain, arthritis, or damaged joints.
- Muscle strengthening: Cycling is aerobic exercise. The upright position of the bike and the muscle movements involved in this activity target the upper body and trunk.
- Calorie burn: Cycling can burn calories, which helps reduce a person’s risk of developing obesity or postmenopausal breast cancer and colorectal cancer.
- Improved balance: The American Heart Association (AHA) states that this activity may be beneficial for people who are obese or have had a stroke. Exercises that improve balance can also help reduce falls and injuries.
Risks and security
The CDC states that
A 2015 study found that young girls exhibited harmful changes in their blood flow after 3 hours of uninterrupted sitting.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists reports that physical activity does not increase the risk of miscarriage, low birth weight, or early delivery. However, pregnant women may wish to consult a doctor to learn more about safe exercise during pregnancy.
Other experts recommend that individuals consult a physician before participating in indoor cycling sessions if they have heart disease.
Those interested in using home gym equipment, such as exercise bikes, may want to consider alternative companies to Bowflex, including the ones below.
- NordicTrack: Has been in business since 1975 and offers six exercise bikes, all with a 30 day return policy. Financing plans may also be available for people who wish to pay in monthly installments. Learn more about NordicTrack.
- Keiser: Keizer manufactures indoor bikes, elliptical machines, complete trainers and power stands, among other equipment. Many of the company’s machines have Bluetooth connectivity, allowing people to track their exercise progress.
- Advenor: Advenor sells two foldable exercise machines, which may benefit those with limited storage space. People can also purchase rowers, vibratory plates, treadmills and weight benches from the company.
People who enjoy cycling may also want to consider other home exercise equipment, such as the ones below.
- Treadmill: These offer appropriate forms of low impact aerobic exercise to suit people of all fitness levels. A person can adjust the speed and incline of the treadmill according to the intensity of the exercise that they prefer.
- Rowers: Rowers provide a full body workout as they target a wide range of muscle groups. Plus, they can be beneficial for those looking for low impact exercise that doesn’t put a lot of strain on the joints.
- Ellipticals: May also be suitable for people who want low impact workouts as they can use these sneakers to climb stairs, walk or run without putting a lot of strain on the joints.
Bowflex offers a variety of home gym equipment for people who don’t want to work out in a gym.
The company claims that the C6 bike provides a quiet and smooth ride, which may be suitable for people who live with other people. The JRNY app that can connect to the C6 bike allows users to access trainer-led training programs and helps them achieve their fitness goals.
However, according to online reviews, former Bowflex customers have reported issues with assembly, shipping and product safety.
Indoor cycling and other types of exercise offer many health benefits, but they also come with risks. People who have a medical condition or are recovering from an injury should consider seeing a doctor before starting any new type of exercise.
Please note: Medical News Today does not imply any guarantee of fitness for a particular purpose or endorse any of these applications. No one at MNT has evaluated the medical accuracy of these applications. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved them unless otherwise noted.