Published on: June 24, 2022; Updated on: June 24, 2022
By Dana Woodward, [email protected], 803-777-3691
The university’s board of directors met on Friday, June 24. Here is an overview of the actions they have taken:
Tuition fees remain stable in the 2022-2023 budget
The board approved a budget for fiscal years 2022-23 that invests in strategic priorities while keeping tuition flat for the fourth consecutive year for the eight-campus university system.
With continued high student enrollment and financial support from state legislators, the university system’s $1.8 billion budget will allow investment in academic fields and basic infrastructure without increase tuition fees for students and families.
Board honors outgoing directors
Two former trustees were recognized with resolutions for their service to the university. William Hubbard, who represented the Fifth Judicial Circuit for 35 years, served as vice president for four years and president for four years. Hubbard is now the dean of the law school. Eugene Warr Jr. represented the Fourth Judicial Circuit for 20 years and served as president for four years. Warr is now a family court judge in South Carolina’s Fourth Judicial Circuit.
The board also recognized Alex Harrell, outgoing student body president, and Robin Roberts, outgoing president of the USC Alumni Association.
Contracts, leases and other approvals
Various other items were approved during the meeting, including:
- Indeterminate quantity contracts for Brownstone Construction Group, LLC, Cumming Management Group, Atlantic South, LLC, LLE Constructions Group, LLC and Bear Steele Global, Ltd. Co.;
- renewal of USC Development Foundation leases at 1530 Wheat St. and 1300 Pickens St.;
- Academic Libraries License Agreements with Wiley Subscriptions Services, Inc. and EBSCO Information;
- a USC Beaufort license agreement with Encoura, LLC;
- a master service agreement between HireRight, LLC and the Human Resources Division;
- a service agreement between the university and the USC Alumni Association;
- USC Columbia campus athletics agreements with Delta Air Lines, Inc. for charter flights, SSB Consulting Group dba Affinaquest, and Salesforce, Inc.;
- one-year job extensions at USC Columbia Athletics for athletics head coach Curtis Frye, women’s basketball associate head coach Lisa Boyer and women’s basketball assistant coaches Fred Chmiel and Jolette Law ;
- USC Upstate Athletics employment agreements with men’s basketball head coach Dave Dickerson and women’s basketball head coach Jason Williams;
- USC Columbia housing agreement with Courtyard Marriott;
- initial approval of amendments to the Board’s bylaws, which will be put to a second vote in August;
- minutes and approval agendas of previous meetings;
- the appointment of Robin Roberts as a non-board, non-voting expert advisor to the Advancement, Engagement and Communications Committee;
- and the election of Cary Graham as Assistant Secretary of the Business Operations Council.
Share this story! Let your friends on your social network know what you’re reading
Topics: Academic Leadership